Wednesday, November 15, 2006

the light, the tunnel, old friends & JC

it was nearly like that kids...
i was about to make my triumphant entry into winning the new york marathon. i trained my ass off, lots of early mornings, shitloads of pasta, enough gatorade- i was ready for it. unfortunately at the 23rd mile something happened and i flaked out. the next thing i heard was an american voice asking me how i felt and waking up plugged into oxygen in the back of an ambulance.
it was rough, i didn't know where i lived, why i was in the us, where i was staying etc etc. i got rushed into intensive care, double drips, oxygen, heart rate monitors the whole deal...
it was Rhabdomyolysis which means muscle tissue breaking down and poisoning the blood. i had to stay in hospital from sunday through saturday..
that's ok if you feel poorly, but when you feel ok it sucks. it's so boring and i was expected to get out every day after my blood test.
i missed my conference, hospital bills are $35k+, but at least i have my health :)

No comments: